Monday 3 September 2007

Alamut (Lorenzo Villoresi, 2006)


Rose, incense, patchouli, amber, tuberose, ylang-ylang, neroli.

I find a lot of incense-based fragrances too sweet for my tastes; I've been looking for an exception for quite a while. I have found it in Alamut, which is such a wonderful smell that, in spite of the fact that I only discovered it two days ago, ranks among my favourite fragrances of all time.

On my skin, the initial neroli and tuberose give way quickly to incense, powdery lavender and sandalwood, which are the strongest notes I get from this scent. However, as with Cuir Ottoman (below), the quality that raises this one from good to extraordinary is that the impression I have is not that my skin is wearing an incense fragrance, but that my skin itself smells of incense. My assumption is that this wouldn't be the case with everybody, and that it's a quality of my own body chemistry, but the effect is subtle, sensual and remarkable. My skin smells of lavender talc and Nag Champa.

If I had to choose one 'desert island' perfume, one to wear every single day, Alamut would be a very strong contender. Unlike some of my other favourites, it is a gentle, warm, subtle smell - but no less stunning for it.

No comments: